Thursday, March 2, 2023

Vampires' Daughter by Kristen S. Walker

I guess, maybe because I am this parent.....I don't care for the book as much as I otherwise would have. I am all for stories about finding one's self, coming into one's own. I felt that the story centered around a girl who had strict parents (but were otherwise loving, their restrictiveness being for her ultimate protection) who felt the need to not once but multiple times go against them. Is this a story about fighting the restriction of loving parents, coming to age, defining oneself, fighting evil? When your friends put you in a terribly dangerous situation and you become marked by the unseelie (your enemies) and your parents save your but - tell me why you'd purposefully continue down the same path yet again. Are the parents that bad, if they moved this rebel across the country to try to keep her safe? I know plenty in real life who turn their backs on their rebellious children. Yet her parents don't. I don't really know how to feel about this book to be honest. But not because of the author's writing ability. Not because the story was lacking. Not for any reason good enough to review it lower than a 3. It's all a personal preference. I don't glorify rebellion that leads a person into harmful situations, rebellion from a protective environment into recklessness. Rebellion must be for a reason that is for the betterment of others (i.e. rebellion against tyrannical leaders, rebellion against terrible captives, an oppressive system, ect.) So I suppose the premise just bothers me on a personal level. On all other levels this book is enjoyable, the characters are good, the pacing is acceptable, the story line is well thought out, the world building is also good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

She Conquers Caitlin Denman

Strong World building and great characters that grow and develop throughout the book. Destiny, friendships, betrayals, growing trust, love. ...